When it comes to maintaining mental health, treating ourselves with respect and care is crucial, and engaging in physical fitness is an essential part of that process. Unfortunately, not everyone has access to fitness classes, yoga, and other similar self-care methods that help support mental health. However, there are two Tampa nonprofits devoted to offering accessible fitness classes to the community to promote physical and psychological well-being. Keep scrolling to learn more.
The Phoenix has one motto: Rise. Recover. Live. This nationwide organization has a chapter right here in Tampa. The Phoenix is a sober fitness group for people recovering from addiction, choosing to live a sober life, or are just a supporter of someone they know who is clean. They help their community to rebuild their lives by inspiring resilience through a supportive community. With free weekly in-person and online classes, this organization offers a safe and sober place for those who have a passion for fitness.
Here’s a bit about the impact this organization has had on their communities:
– 80% have felt an improved self-esteem
– 80% have increased confidence and coping skills
– 80% stayed sober after six months of working with The Phoenix
Their in-person classes in Tampa range from outdoor HIIT workouts, cross-fit training, weekly yoga, monthly kickboxing classes, and monthly paddle boarding! Did I mention all of their classes are FREE? Sign up for a class here; the only requirement is at least 48 hours of continuous sobriety before the event.
Yoga 4 Change
Spanning across four different communities in Florida, Yoga 4 Change has roots here in Tampa. This nonprofit organization helps bring yoga and fitness to veterans, those experiencing incarceration, impoverished youth, and mental health challenges. They hope to heal underserved communities through the calming practices yoga offers. They offer three components that are used to change these communities’ lives.
– Structure. Those who have little of that in their lives have been forgotten by the system or do not have access to extra activities
– Empowerment. Through breathing and relaxation techniques, they empower these groups by attuning them to their body and deepening their self-awareness
– Results. Through their unique program, they have helped transform and elevate the communities they serve
More information about how to gain yoga teaching experience can be found on their website.